Friday, December 10, 2010

Hello World, I'm a Broadway Blog Too...




The world doesn’t revolve around me and my opinions.  All of my understanding of the world of broadway has come from my research and following of other blogs similar to mine.  One blog that I found every effective in expanding my knowledge over the subject was Broadway/ San Diego, Your Shows/ Your Way. 

When I initially came across this blog, I was immediately turned away by the title.  I live in Los Angeles, so why would I be interested in productions happening down in SD?  This brings up an important decision when creating a blog of your own.  You only have a split second to grab your audience; you have a few words or phrases to capture someone’s attention.  My one criticism of this blog would be just that.  I initially thought that I was going to be reading a series of reviews of Broadway musical productions taking place in San Diego.  This, however, wasn’t the case.

Thank goodness I continued to explore Broadway/ San Diego, because it has become one of the greatest ways to find background information on current productions that are traveling around the nation.  Broadway/ San Diego is part of a larger blog, which highlights productions and events happening in major cities including Chicago, Tucson, and I’m sure you’ve guessed…L.A.!

Broadway L.A. is the one stop shop for everything broadway.  One of its biggest features is that it highlights current as well as upcoming performances.  If you’re interested in seeing West Side Story when it comes to the Pantages Theatre in November, or even buying pre-sale tickets for the musical Hair, which comes to the theatre in January, Broadway L.A. makes it easy to read a synopsis of the performance, get basic information about length and age appropriateness, as well as purchase tickets!

Another great feature about this blog is that since it is associated with a greater group of collective blogs, the writers and contributors to the blogs have major connections to share with you! Buy searching on the Broadway/ San Diego is was able to read profiles on current productions in Los Angeles.  Specifically for West Side Story, Broadway/ San Diego has early reviews of the cast and production.  It is even a good place to go if you want a complete background of the play, seeing as the blogger outlines the story by giving an in-depth background of the initial players who created it to the ultimate adaptation of this production.

I offer this blog to you as it focuses on exactly what I am interested in.  THEATER.  Not only does this blog offer opinion, but it also offers a historical context to back its theories and evaluations of the productions that it specials.  My hope is to offer you the history of the theater, but I enjoy this blog because it offers the history behind specific moments of the theater. 

You’ll never know if you’re going to like a musical or not unless you see it, but if you’re hesitant of spending the dollars on a play that you may or may not like, take a look at Broadway/ San Diego to give you all the details you need to know to make your decision! 

No comments:

Post a Comment