Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Voice of a Blog...

Everyone is always interested in what "the voice" of a blog is.  No one is going to sit on the computer and search for a blog on The Golden Age of Broadway, my blog, if I don't offer some incentive for them to keep reading...

I could introduce my amazing wit...

Or I could astound my audience with my immense knowledge...

Since I've seen so many productions, I could offer insight with comparisons...

I have absolutely none of that! Which is why I turned to the web, where there are hundreds of thousands of different blogs on my subject, which have followers, which means they each HAVE to have some sort of voice of their own!

In my search for "broadway blogs" (no joke, I really put that into the google search box), I came across one called Broadway & Me.  Just from the title, I already knew that this was going to be the perfect place for me to start the search for a blogger voice because I hadn't even jumped into it and I already knew what the blog was going to be about; Broadway & Me was going to be a blog about an actor and his experiences in Broadway...

Okay so my first guess was wrong, but close enough!


Broadway & Me is a blog from the perspective of an avid theater goer and his experiences as he sees various productions.  Each post introduces a new performance and his viewpoints on every aspect of the production, the actors, the staging, the setting...EVERYTHING.  Seeing as this blogger was not a critic, what gives him the right to analyze these plays that are put on for his enjoyment, and an even better question, why would anyone read a blog that offers criticisms on productions, coming from someone who doesn't even "matter"?

My guess: HIS BLOGGER VOICE

First off, this blogger has an enormous amount of knowledge about the theater world.  Now I know there is the internet, and Wikipedia is ohh so helpful, but this blogger obviously knows at least enough to know who or what he should be searching.  This blogger uses a lot of name dropping, which gives him some credibility for "doing his homework", if nothing else.  He can compare the performances of one actor in one play to the performance of another actor in another play, which shows his passion for the theme.

And although this definitely isn't a scholarly blog, his entries definitely would not be found in the pages of a textbook on Broadway, this blogger uses words such as "melodramatic" and "expressionistic", which shows that he's had at least some training in talking about Broadway as an art form.

The detail into which this blogger offers also adds to his voice in that it shows an excitement and passion for the subject matter and pieces in which he is discussing.  If someone were to have a long drawn out passage using big Thesaurus type words, NO ONE would read it.  But this blogger uses language that the average person can recognize and understand, while adding little twists here and there of his opinion, which ultimately creates a blog that is informative, entertaining, and all about Broadway!

No comments:

Post a Comment